Followers

Thursday, April 5, 2012

What's Going On Hotel Chelsea?


What happened to the artistic, historical haven to the artists, musicians, writers, and actors? The landmark hold such much history in the West Chelsea neighborhood. Every time I think and hear the name "Chelsea Hotel" famous residents like Andy Warhol, Edie Sedgwick, Bob Dylan, and Allen Ginsberg (and the rest of the beat writers) come to mind. It's practically a ghost town when I walk down 23rd between 7th and 8th, even at night I don't even see the red bright lights shining the "Hotel Chelsea" name. When I get a glimpse of the inside of the hotel I don't see the murals plastered on the famous Chelsea walls. It broke my heart that it's not open to the public like it used to be. Seriously what's going on? Will there be new management? Or it's just for the HC residents? Like disco, is the Chelsea dead?



Even though, I haven't grew up in the Chelsea or been a New Yorker that long but learning so much history about it gives me unspoken connection. There are many so many memories and demons that took place in this hotel. I can picture Allen Ginsberg conversing with the other beat writers, including Gregory Corso and my personal favorite Jack Kerouac. Or Andy Warhol filming "Chelsea Girls" in this hotel. I love heading to the hotel and reading the plaques dedicating the artists, writers, or I like to call them "the artistic contributors" to this West Chelsea legacy. From Dylan Thomas to Mark Twain. For just one night I'm glad I slept in the Chelsea. I don't know what the future will be for the Chelsea but I miss it and I want  it to come back. All I have to say is "Save the Chelsea!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It think it was bought and it being turned into a boutique hotel--or in this case, boo-tique...